Monthly Archives: January 2011

Midwinter Doldrums

Midwinter Doldrums

The winter offseason is more than half over, and it sure seems like not much has happened. Fortunately, parts are mostly coming back *in* rather than going back *out*. The big bit
that I’m waiting for is the repaired floor from Stohr, after which the car can begin being reassembled again, in earnest.

Misc Updates:

  • Bodywork: The WF-1 bodywork has been repainted by good ol’ Pat Holmes at Don’s body shop, so once again I’ll be sporting proper RockySoft black-and-purple colors. The new paint looks gorgeous.
  • Axles: As mentioned below, the axles are complete, and bakc on the car. A little bit of JB-Weld will weld the magnet to the axle cup for the speed sensor pickup.
  • Wiring: I bought some ‘split wrap’ from Pegasus, and re-loomed all the wiring without the 800million zip ties. End result looks very nice, and should provide good abrasion resistance.
  • Splitter Repairs: Along with the floor, I sent the front splitter to Stohr for repair and reinforcement. As it turns out, it was an extremely lightweight version made for Jaremko’s car at the 2008 Runoffs, which does explain a lot of the flex I experienced. They are going to cut out the weak portions and replace with the standard thicknesses, so I’ll pick up some weight, but the increase in stiffness should be tremendous. As well, Doug at Stohr
    opined it was almost surely the cause of my high-speed vibration at Road America, since doubtless the whole front was flopping along from the loads placed on it.
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator: As part of the new fuel cell install, I’ve moved the FPR into the fuel cell compartment, and have a new regulator.
  • Square: While the floor was off, I took the opportunity to “square” the car, since so many new parts (three out of 8 control arms) had gone on the car, and I had never actually done it. This process is outlined in the “Manual Addendum” linked at the top of this page, but basically, you make sure that all the control arms are the same length, that your wheelbase is the same on both sides, and so on. Happily, the car was almost exactly square, except the RF upper control arm, which was a hair short on its leading arm. Fortunately, this also helped explain the uneven number of threads shown on the LH and RH upper camber adjustment – by bringing the upper out somewhat, I’ll have to bring the camber in, showing less threads, which will more closely match the left hand side of the car. Good when things match up!

Axle Redux

As mentioned below, I sent the axles off to Taylor for a quick look-see. As it turns out, good thing, as they informed me that all four CV’s were heavily worn and bore replacement, which we did, with some whizzy new CV’s that are a touch lighter. While there, I asked him about the various tripods and CV’s out there, and how they compare to the standard VW “lightened” CV that we use:

  • 2010 and earlier tripod: 1350nm/995lb-ft of torque
  • 2011+ Taylor tripod: 1500nm or 1106lb-ft of torque
  • Standard VW CV: rated for approx 1600lb-ft of torque

So, as you can see, the standard CV’s, which when assembled on halfshafts weigh approximately 14# per pair, are extremely solid. Taylor said the new lightweight parts would be about 10# total, and the old ones were approximately 8# total. (all numbers for both axles combined).

Canopy

After our two EZ-Up canopies blew away in the storm at Runoffs, we decided to upgrade to a full-on trailer canopy, to see how that works for us. Working with Wes at Holliday Canopies,
we’ve decided to go with a 15×27′ canopy, that is offset slightly above the trailer, with walls, sides, and the whole shootin’ match. It will definitely be more of a PITA to take up and down,
but with luck, once up, it should be very nice. The walls should make it easy to simply zip up and leave the car without worry overnight.

So far, dealing with Holliday has been a bit frustrating in terms of e-mail communication – definitely phone calls are the way to go for Wes.